Wednesday 21 April 2010

Maldon

Part of what makes learning to sail interesting is to go and see what other clubs are up to. Last weekend, whilst enjoying the very first sunny day for approximately 6 months (sic) I went to Maldon. Whilst walking on the river front, I spotted the Maldon Yacht Club. Their burgee has green for the river, white for crests of waves and black for the mud. After seeing the mud these guys have, I think it is going to be damn hard to complain about conditions over at Wivenhoe. The burgee is painted on the front of the club house; if you click on the picture it should be clearer.

Maldon Yacht Club and the mud at low tide (I hope!)

Also spotted were a number of Thames Barges including one named 'Wivenhoe'. If you have kids and fancy a pint by the river, Maldon is a great place to go.

Pubs and Barges at Maldon

The Maldon Mud Race takes place on foot every year around the end of December. I am tempted to enter er ....one day. It involves running across the river at low tide in mid-winter. Mud makes it fun I'm told.
Spring view of Maldon Mud Race course

No comments:

Post a Comment