Sunday 7 June 2009

Handicap System

I have discovered that it is not just enough to have the most pointy-fastest boat in the club. There is another thing called the handicap system which I must over-come.

Today's race took us up to the Ancient Roman Port of Hythe, yes up to King Edwards Quay in Colchester (who would have thought that Colchester has a port). In short, lovely sail through green fields to finally turn at the dirty arse Colchester bit. If someone dredged that bit at the top where we turned, there is a fortune to be made out of the marina that could be there. Instead Colchester has opted for the VAF further into town - read the link, I know which one I'd prefer.

Anyway, all was going well until we reached the inevitable turn. Another nautical lesson learned here about which object you refer to in sentences when going around port side - to me it is ambiguous as it could be either the boat or the buoy. As race rules stipulate, having gone round the wrong side, I had to perform a 360 spin - time lost but not too bad. We were still doing well and were vying for the lead. Unfortunately another disaster struck when we hit the mud, became becalmed and drifted into low hanging branches. We crossed the finish line 2nd, but the handicap system meant the Mirror that came last actually won.

So the handicap system is something I will learn to deal with in the next few races; for me and my crew (here on known as The Barman), we both agreed that we would prefer to cross the finish line 2nd than last.

BTW - going round port side means port side of the boat (I think my mind is set to look at everything from a different perspective).




No comments:

Post a Comment