Saturday 11 July 2009

East Coast Sailing Clubs

It has been said that the Essex & Suffolk Coast with the River Colne, River Crouch, River Blackwater, River Stour, River Orwell and River Deben offer some of the most interesting sailing in the UK. From the preponderance of sailing clubs in this area, one might agree. The map below highlights locations where some of these can be found.



On the map above at 'B', is a marina and the Bradwell Outdoor Centre. Here Essex County Council run an Outdoor Centre for 'yoofs' and adults alike and is where last year, I completed my RYA 1 & 2 dinghy sailing course. Slightly disconcerting is a disused nuclear power plant which over looks the area.

Another interesting place is of course 'H', Wivenhoe Sailing Club out of which I launch the Zambezi Shark (aka Topper Xenon). I am told we all become very good sailors here as we deal with the shifting and frequently light winds, the shallow water, tides and narrow channel.

Finally at Tollsbury there is again also a marina and sailing/yacht club combo. This place has special memories for me as when Mrs Hook and I reconnoitered sailing clubs to to park my new big boat (it was a before the recession) I parked the new BMW on a road near the marina office to return 40 minutes later to find it in fast rising 6 inches of sea water.

I am not the only one who this happens to. Visitors to West Mersea (very smart website) will frequently see cars parked too close to the rising sea and owners too ensconced in fine dinning or too new to the sea to realise what is about to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment